Computers at the Public Workstations
Save multiple copies of your work regularly.
You can save your files to the Desktop, but always save in another location such as a memory stick (USB device).
If the computer accidentally loses power, anything saved on the hard drive (including the Desktop and My Documents) will be lost.
For assistance Ask a Librarian anytime!
Please report problems to the Information Desk,
or when the Information Desk is closed, the Circulation Desk.
The Library's public workstations are provided for academic purposes. The Statement on Use of UW Computing and Network Resources and other relevant University Policies and Procedures govern the use of these workstations.
- All windows are closed and all work lost when the computer has been inactive for 15 minutes.
- Delete files from "my document", desktop, and/or recycle bin when you leave the workstation, to protect your own privacy.
(Press <Shift> + <Delete> will delete an item without saving to the recycle bin.) Files will stay on the hard drive until the computer is next re-booted.
Programs available at the Public Workstations:
- DataStream Advance
- DVD / CD burner software Roxio Creator or LG Tools
- MS Office 2010
- SSH Telnet client - Putty
- Refworks Write-N-Cite
- Specialty viewers and plugins:
- Adobe Flash Player
- Adobe Reader
- Beyond 2020
- Irfan View
- Xnews news reader
- ArcGIS (all fifteen 5th floor PCs in Porter)
Need Technical Help?
Last Updated: March 1, 2013