Library Buildings: Access and Safety
Dana Porter Library
- Access: a ramp is located at the front of the building. The main doors to the Library slide open automatically when the motion detector is activated.
- Elevators: wheelchair accessible elevators with hand rails on the back wall are located in the main lobby and provide access to all floors.
- Telephones: wheelchair accessible pay telephones are located on the main, and 3rd floors. There are wheelchair accessible campus telephones on the 1st and 2nd floors.
- Washrooms: wheelchair accessible washrooms are located on the 1st (rooms 134/135) and 3rd (rooms 305/307) floors.
Davis Centre Library (W. G. Davis Computer Research Centre)
- Access: entrances leading into the Great Hall on the west and east sides of the Davis Centre are wheelchair accessible, as are the doors leading into the Library.
- Elevator: the Library's elevator is wheelchair accessible. It is located opposite the Circulation Desk on the main floor.
- Telephones: wheelchair accessible pay telephones are located outside the Library near the west entrance of the Great Hall.
- Washrooms: wheelchair accessible washrooms are located close to the RBC Information Commons (rooms 1920/1921) and in the Great Hall (rooms 1934/1935).
Witer Learning Resource Centre (School of Optometry)
- Access: The Witer Learning Resource Centre is wheelchair accessible.
- Telephones: wheelchair accessible pay telephones are located on the main floor of the Optometry Building.
- Washrooms: rooms 2902/2903, down the hall from the Centre. Other wheelchair accessible washrooms in the buliding are 1035/1053, 2003/2018, 2004/2017, 2034/2068, 2035/2067.
- Please familiarize yourself with the layout of the building and your nearest exit in case of emergency.
- Dana Porter Library: Exits are on the Main floor, at the front and east side (through the Reference book shelves), and on the 1st floor, via stairwells A & B.
- Floors 6 - 10 are not monitored by Fire Wardens. We strongly recommended that anyone who requires assistance during an emergency evacuation be accompanied while using these floors.
- Safety Phones are located by the elevators on floors 5 to 10. Lifting the handest automatically connects you to Circulation Services.
- The University of Waterloo Police can be reached at ext. 2222 or 519-888-4911.
During a Fire Alarm
- Note: The elevators cannot be used once the fire alarm has been triggered.
- If you require assistance to evacuate the building:
- You or a companion should use the Safety Phones.
- During a building evacuation, the phones connect to the University Police.
- Identify the floor and set of stairs nearest to your location (e.g., Floor 6, Stair B).
- Move to the stated stairwell and wait for assistance.
Return to UW Library Services for Persons with Disabilities Info
, Library Associate/Coordinator,
Library Services for Persons with Disabilities
Adaptive Technology Centre
Dana Porter Library
University of Waterloo Library
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1
(519) 888-4567 x33012
January 30, 2013