- Resources for Research
- About Us
- Ask a Librarian
- Help & Instruction
- Connect from Home
- Site Index
- Library Home
William Kriesel fonds - 1889-1905.
65 cm of textual records.
View full finding aid (72 KB, 4 pages)
William Kriesel owned the first hardware store in New Dundee, Ontario. He bought the building for his stove and tinware store in 1871 from the estate of the original owner, John Millar, for $1,200. He operated the hardware store from 1871 to 1906, and then passed the business on to his son, Bert Kriesel, who operated it from 1906 to 1912. Several prominent New Dundee business owners' names appear in Kriesel's day books and ledgers, including furniture maker Andrew Poth, carriage maker J.M. Weber [ie. Webber], harness maker A.B. McRae, flour mill owner E.W.B. Snider [ie. Snyder], butcher Charles Hiller, woolen mill owner Charles Kaufman, and the Kolebrenner brother blacksmiths. Sources: Hilborn, Miriam. "The E.T. Coleman Hardware Store in New Dundee." _Waterloo Historical Society_ 50 (1962): 79; New Hamburg-Wilmot Township Centennial Committee. _More than a century in Wilmot Township_. New Hamburg: The Committee, 1967; and _The Union Publishing Co's (of Ingersoll) Farmers' and Business Directory for the Counties of Peel, Waterloo and Wellington, 1893, Vol. VII_. Union Publishing Company of Ingersoll, 1893.
Contents: fonds consists of eleven day books and two ledgers listing daily sales and corresponding customer accounts for William Kriesel's stoves and tinware store (hardware store) from 1889-1905.
Title from content of the fonds.
Purchased in 1986.
Detailed finding aid available. (72 KB,42 pages)
Call Number: GA154