- Resources for Research
- About Us
- Ask a Librarian
- Help & Instruction
- Connect from Home
- Site Index
- Library Home
Schantz/Russell Family Papers. - [ca.1840] - [ca. 1960].
ca. 5 m of textual records and other material
The house at 43 Schneider Ave., Kitchener Ont., was built in 1877-1888 by Tobias and Mary Schantz, and has remained in the family to the present day. Tobias and Mary's granddaughter, Dorothy Russell, and great-grandson, Harold Russell, "cleaned out the attic" and although much textual and graphic material remains with the family, the materials donated represent a significant addition to our knowledge and understanding of local history and way of life in 19th-century Ontario, particularly in Kitchener.
The more than 1000 letters alone provide insight into the lives of pioneer families, and are especially rich in detailing the concerns of women. The Schantz women may have been atypical: they were well-educated and they worked and travelled; their letters contain everything from the most humdrum details of domestic activities to comments on local and larger affairs.
Other textual materials document the education, interests and activities of members of the large and busy Schantz family from the 1850's to ca. 1930. The photographs add to the known body of work of local photographers, most notably Denton, and include some images of important local events, such as the visit of Sir Wilfrid Laurier. The many very early local maps and plans are a significant addition for area research. Ephemera and artifacts are also present.
Papers and books in the attic were stored in trunks, boxes, and desks, some belonging to individuals, and some containing general family papers, and the arrangement of the fonds has been determined largely by the way the material was stored. One trunk was labelled, "Hervey Bowman": this belonged to a close friend (and cousin?) of Frank Schantz, who gave all his things to Frank when he died. One of the most significant local history finds was in this trunk. Hervey's father, Isaac Lucius Bowman, ran a school at Freeport ca. 1867-1871, which is documented here through the "Proceedings of the Freeport Educational Society", circulars of the Freeport Academy, and two photographs of pupils and teachers of the Academy.
Title chosen by donors.
Includes ca. 3 m. of textual material (including 1 m. of correspondence containing more than 1000 letters), 47 photographs, maps, several artifacts.
Donated by Dorothy Russell and her son, Harold Russell, in 1995.
Arranged in thirteen series: 1. Bowman, Arthur M., 2. Bowman, Hervey M. (d. 1931), 3. Bowman, Isaac Lucius (d. 1893), 4. Bowman Family, 5. Schantz, Florence (1879-1938), 6. Schantz, Franklin A. (1874-1962), 7. Schantz, Mary Moyer (1840-1935), 8. Schantz, Tobias (1842-1925), 9. Tobias and Mary Schantz Family, 10. Schantz Family Reunion (1913-1940), 11. Correspondence Files, 12. Photographs, 13. Maps.
Detailed finding aid available.
Call number: GA91