The Library held a contest in honour of the first Canadian Library Week (October 17-24, 2005). Winners of the contest are:
First Place (Bookstore Gift Card): Lily Cong (Math/Accountancy undergraduate student)
Second Place (Bookstore Gift Card): Graeme Kemkes (Math/Combinatorics & Optimization grad student)
Third Place (Library T-Shirt): Paul Kay (Chair & Associate Professor, ERS)
Established by the Canadian Library Association (CLA), Canadian Library Week was developed "to help raise awareness of the valuable role libraries play." The theme of the inaugural Canadian Library Week was: Lifelong Libraries - Discover Us!
To celebrate Canadian Library Week, the Library encouraged UW students, faculty, and staff to participate by answering six quiz questions. Many participated, but only three could be awarded prizes. (The respective contest winners were the first to submit quizzes receiving a perfect score.)
1) Provide the full names for two of the three people represented in the paintings displayed on the Dana Porter Library's Portrait Wall. Joseph Gerald Hagey, Ira George Needles, and/or Dana Harris Porter
2) What year did the Davis Centre Library open? 1987 (The Davis Library's official opening ceremony took place in 1988)
3) Who is the current Liaison Librarian for Mathematics? Dan Sich
4) On which floor in the Dana Porter Library would you find the following book: The Library; a Poem (call number - PR4512.L5 1966)? 9th Floor
5) What is the maximum fine you can receive for one overdue library book? $30
6) Which library is open 24 hours a day, 6 days a week during exam time? Davis Centre Library
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Canadian Library Week quiz contest!