Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on Porter's main floor.
During the renovation we made a lot of changes and added many new features to the floor, so we have appreciated hearing what you think of them.
Read all comments or view comments and our responses by topic:
Everyone loves the comfy chairs, but think we need more of them. Some individuals have expressed appreciation for the new ergonomic computer chairs. Others wish there were more group tables. A lot of people like the group collaboration booth and want more booths like it. See furniture comments
- When the floor opened, not all of the seating had arrived yet. We have since added 8 laptop barstools and additional comfortable seating, and we will be adding barstools to the Browsers counter shortly. We know that there could always be more seating!
- We are glad that students like the group collaboration booth
- We have recently got an additional group study table in place, which had been delayed for a number of reasons
Everyone is happy with the additional computers and ethernet connections. Some people felt there was too much open space that could have been used to put in more computers. There were a lot of complaints about the poor wireless signal on the floor though. See computer and internet comments
- We are happy that people love the additional computers!
- With regards to the “wasted space” in the lobby, this space fills up at peak traffic times. Prior to the renovation, there were display cabinets in the foyer and this area would become very congested with people waiting for the elevators and lining up for Browsers and the Circulation desk. To avoid congestion, we decided against adding more computers or seating
- Internet problems have been very recently addressed in at least two ways:
- by a new library proxy server
- by various actions taken by the UW’s Information and Systems Technology department
Many people noted that there have been problems with the Library's printing service lately. See all printing comments
The problems with our printing service were mostly solved around the beginning of December, by updating the print drivers. Thanks for your patience!
A handful of people have suggested that the floor needs artwork. See art comments
- Art is planned for the 5 panels across from the Graphics Copy Centre once something appropriate has been identified
- Temporary display space has also been discussed for the large foyer area, and will be put in place when appropriate displays are identified. Specific suggestions are welcomed
- The large portrait of Dana Porter will also be placed on the floor, as well as another piece of artwork commissioned for the university’s 50th celebration
People raised concerns about the smell of the new floor after the renovation. Many individuals were interested in learning more about "green intiatives" investigated during the renovation. See environment comments
- The “gassing off” of new carpets and furniture is normal – we are mostly through this period now
- ‘Green’ initiatives were investigated during planning, including: demountable walls; LED lighting; better recycling. Some of us wanted a living wall too, but this was too expensive. We are still working on some aspects such as recycling
- The new colour printer is ‘eco-friendly’ in that it uses solid ink which does not require cartridges to be refilled and creates much less waste than lasers or inkjets
A lot of people said that there is too much wasted space. An equal number love the spaciousness and open concept, describing the floor as beautiful, bright, and open. See all space comments
- One of the goals of the renovation was to increase space in the public areas and to open up window views. This has been accomplished, adding a very spacious feel to the floor
- During planning we went through a lot of different arrangements for using the space in the foyer but they all created traffic issues for peak times, such as when classes are turning over. We experienced this congestion prior to the renovation and in the end we concluded it would be a mistake to recreate this situation
- Another benefit to this space is that it can be used for temporary exhibits in future (if exhibits can be timed not to create too many traffic problems!) It can also be used occasionally for special events that the Library hosts from time to time
Everyone is happy to have Browsers back. Many think that this area could have been larger and some miss the candy bar and the barstools that were along the counter area. A couple people have commented that the food selection could be improved. See all food comments
- Staff are happy to have Browsers back too! We struggled with competing visions of how the space on the main floor should be used. Please see the input that we obtained before making a decision on the best mix of uses
- Food Services removed the candy bar to accommodate an additional cooler, which will be put in place over the December holiday break
- The barstools by the Browsers counter will be installed shortly
- In keeping with library policy, Food Services does not offer hot foods at this location. Specific suggestions for cold foods can be directed to Food Services
Most people said that the renovation was money well spent. Some suggested that the money was "wasted" and were under the impression that funding was taken from tuition fees. See funding comments
- The majority of funding was raised through donations
- None of the cost of the renovation was derived from tuition dollars
- 92% of Library staff donated money to the make the renovation possible
Many felt that the renovation took too long and were disappointed that construction extended beyond the anticipated completion date and was not ready in time for the start of the fall term. See all time comments
We agree that the renovation took too long! Our deadline for completion was August 15 in order to be ready for the fall term. However the renovation was delayed by 2 months mainly because of unexpected work that needed to be done to the first floor emergency exits, and to one of the third floor stairwells. For reasons of “Life Safety” (the term used by building inspectors) we could not start the main floor until the temporary entrance on the 1st floor exit had been upgraded. This was a last-minute addition to the project.