Skip to the content of the web site.

Library Managers

University of Waterloo
Library Managers, April 12, 2017

Present: Annie Bélanger, Betty Graf, Jennifer Haas, Melanie Hannaford (Recorder), Beverly Hershey, Alison Hitchens, Sharon Lamont (Chair), Kathy MacDonald, Alex McCulloch, Carl Nagel, Nick Richbell, Ian Robson

Guests: Sarah Martin, Preethi Rao, Adam Savage

1. Counselling in the Library
Sarah Martin has been working with Counselling Services to bring their services into the Libraries. As per her recent email, UW MATES (Mentor Assistance Through Education & Support) will be available in Dana Porter and Davis Centre Libraries for our students during this term’s exam period. Counselling Services will also be providing training sessions for staff in May in order to better support our patrons. There will be two staff training sessions, and front facing staff are strongly encouraged to attend. In order to coordinate efforts and determine what can be done long term, Sarah will continue to pilot a few initiatives over this year as part of a fuller MAP3 proposal.

As of June, Nancy Collins will become Chair of the Library’s Health, Safety and Wellness Committee.

2. Reno Update
Adam Savage facilitated a Shared Environment beta workshop with Managers, in advance of a staff workshop. The goal is an open conversation about privacy concerns and determining ways to work in our new shared environment.

Annie provided an overview to Managers on the updated schematic design, timeline and furniture.

Annie will be sending Managers a communication regarding scheduling their department clean-up days, including an updated Records Management handout. All clean-up days should be completed by end of May.

3. Business Arising
Feedback from some Library staff was that they prefer the Board and Senate room for Library Update meetings because of the access to screens and microphones for questions. In order to provide more flexibility for presenting away from the podium, the possibility of using a portable mic will be explored. The option of booking a lecture style classroom in STC will also be investigated.

4. Recruitment
Sharon provided an update to Managers on current recruits, and will be sending a staffing update to Library staff soon.

5. Performance Measurements
Alex discussed the idea of developing key performance measures in Circulation, and how they could align with Excellence Canada Silver goals. A customer service quality measure, among others, should be a multi-department development. Given the other projects underway it was agreed that multi-department measures such as this should wait for the new User Experience Specialist to help manage.

6. Staff Confidentiality Statement
As part of the conversation on bringing Stratford, Glow and CIGI into the TUG libraries delivery system, it was suggested that non-library staff working in the Voyager system should be asked to sign a statement of confidentiality. Alex confirmed that UWaterloo staff would be covered under employment agreements, and student staff would be covered by student agreements, so that it would not be necessary for these groups to sign an agreement, but that it will make sense to provide an increased awareness of the issue as part of Onboarding training. For those individuals who do not fall into those categories (for example, the security staff at Stratford), it is advised that contracts and/or Memorandums of Agreements with these sites have more explicit language around confidentiality, and that the individuals covered by these agreements be asked to sign off on them. Alex will edit the statement for training purposes, and will discuss these conclusions with UW and TUG sites.

7. Around the Table
Jennifer:
Jennifer attended the first meeting of the newly formed campus frontline managers roundtable. SSO is bringing together representatives from areas of campus offering student-focused services (SSO, Athletics, Centre for Career Action, Library, Writing Centre, Housing, WatPD, GradVenture, etc…) The purpose of the group is to share information, programming and strategies for tackling issues and themes that are relevant to all of us.

Alison:
After working with Ex Libris and TUG managers, TUG has confirmed the Voyager server migration dates. A communication will be forthcoming from the TUG Operations & Infrastructure Chair, Randy Oldham. The staging server will be migrated June 5-7 and the production server will be migrated June 26-28.

Sharon:
The Safety Office is conducting reviews to monitor the health and safety management system at the department level. The Library has been selected for the 2017 review.

Kathy:
OHD Management Day Info Sharing: Kathy attended the session titled “What to do when the Doctor’s note says less stress”. The presenter demonstrated a number of tools including “Support Employee Success: a tool to plan accommodations for workplace mental health’. Downloadable versions are on the Great West Life website. OHN and HR are using this tool to help them develop RTW plans. The content might be helpful in our 1:1 when people come back to work to be able to identify and deal with issues as they arise, be valuable for assessing why a person may be struggling in certain aspects of their job, performance issues, and developing position requirements/interview questions for hiring. Copies were handed out.

Next meeting: April 26, 2017

If you have any queries or concerns about this page, please contact .

April 28, 2017